channeling Yayoi Kusama with a Japanese sewing pattern

If you can sew a quilt, you can sew clothes. And lately, I have been expanding my sewing skills to make garments.

Not just any garment... but tops from Japanese sewing books. These oversized fashion designs are super easy to construct, fun to make, and best of all, easy to wear.

For the latest top, I've channeled the famed Japanese artist Yayoi Kusama.


Kusama's art is scattered all over the world. She is world famous for her huge pumpkin sculptures covered in dots, her infinity rooms, and a bunch of other colorful and interesting motifs. There are so few famous women artists that people can actually recognize, and she is one of them... so I love that about her.



I visited one of her pumpkins at Naoshima Island earlier this year! And here's my top. Its 100% linen.



One dot on the back, just because. (geez, I need a haircut!!!)

I took this photo while making the top. My red stool popped into the photo and somehow fits right in.... 




The instructions are all in Japanese. I do not read or speak Japanese, but I can follow pictures. I am certain that there are details that are lost on me, but the tops I've made have all turned out great.

And if you are interested... yes, I will make one of these for you! $168.00

I am adding handmade tops to my "mariejay" website (where I sell my handmade leather bags). This particular top comes in 2 sizes, regular (or medium) and large. Keep in mind, it is meant to fit very loose and baggy. I can make this top similar to the one I am wearing in linen, or with other colors. BUT... I am also getting a new shipment of imported Japanese fabric very soon! New designs by Japanese quilter and fabric designer Yoshiko Jinzenji - all in 100% linen. So I will be making this top in her designs soon.

Just email me or leave a comment if you're interested in an original, handmade top!

Comments

Popular Posts